Why use a Midwife?
Whole Life Midwifery explains The Midwifery Model of Care:
Women and their families can benefit greatly from the care of a midwife. This is due to the fact that midwifery care is comfortable with the normal process of pregnancy, birth and welcoming the new baby. The midwifery model offers skilled guidance for the mother as she journeys onto the road of pregnancy, labor, birth and the postpartum period. It’s “woman-led” care.
“Mid-Wife” Means “with woman” and this requires time. The mother is continuously tended to throughout pregnancy, labor and birth, with encouragement, comfort and other means of support. Women birthing this way feel a great sense of satisfaction regarding their births.
The Midwifery Model of Care includes:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle;
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care;
- Continuous assistance during labor, delivery and afterwards;
- Minimizing technological testing, interventions and unnecessary drug use;
- Identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention.
The Midwifery Model means freedom for the birthing mother to:
- Cho0se her birth attendants;
- Make informed choices regarding her care;
- Labor where she feels safe and secure;
- Eat, drink and move about as she please during her labor;
- Bathe and labor in the water;
- Give birth in whatever position feels right to her.