Why use a Midwife?
Call to schedule a Free Initial Consultation, Listen to your Baby's Heartbeat,
and Tour Our Beautiful Home-like Facility
Why do women choose to give birth at home, in birth center or out-of-hospital?
Whole Life Midwifery explains The Midwifery Model of Care:
Women in the US are learning that pregnancy & birth are
normal healthy processes, not diseases. In
many other countries, maternity care is handled primarily by trained
midwives. OBs are only involved during
Women and their families can benefit greatly from the care of a midwife, no matter where the birth takes place. This is due to the fact that midwifery care is comfortable with the normal process of pregnancy, birth and welcoming the new baby. The midwifery model offers skilled guidance for the mother as she journeys onto the road of pregnancy, labor, birth and the postpartum period. The midwife walks beside the mother and her family, gently caring for all aspects of her growth, the physical, social and psychological. The midwife offers informed choice regarding tests and procedures which may be considered. It’s “woman-led” care.
“Mid-Wife” Means “with woman” and this requires time. The mother is continuously tended to throughout pregnancy, labor and birth, with encouragement, comfort and other means of support. Women appreciate the ongoing attention and nurturing care of a midwife, who is trained in gentle, natural, safe birthing techniques. She is someone who is an expert in normal birth. The need for medical intervention is greatly reduced, while mother is empowered. Women birthing this way feel a great sense of satisfaction regarding their births.
The Midwifery Model of Care includes:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle;
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous assistance during labor, delivery and afterwards;
- Minimizing technological testing, interventions and unnecessary drug use;
- Identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention.
The Midwifery Model means freedom to the birthing mother:
- Cho0se her birth attendants;
- Make informed choices regarding her care;
- Labor where she feels safe and secure;
- Eat, drink and move about as she please during her labor;
- Bathe and labor in the water;
- Give birth in whatever position feels right to her.